6 design secrets that will boost your productivity when working from home - Part two


First I want to thank you for all the support and I hope you liked my earlier posts!

And welcome back! After you have read my first part on this topic, now it is time for part two! 

Confession time! I created my small home work space after writing this blog! You know.. I don’t want to just give you tips, I want to prove I am right! And yes my parents almost kicked me out of the house because I decided to redesign the whole living room upstairs to create “ my work zone”. But they fell in love with my makeover and I am safe! Haha! (I will definitely be sharing it with you guys soon). Anyway enough about me and let us talk about YOU!


Take a deep breath because you are about to find out some mind blowing research about how strange objects, that you never thought of, can change your productivity.
  •  Art
Psychologists say that a learning space without pictures or other art distractions is the most toxic place a human can be in. I completely agree! Art is considered as a good distraction and is proven to stimulate your creativity. You can consider art as a painting, sculpture or even a natural scene picture. Actually, if you don’t have a window in the area you are working in, a scenery picture with greenery or a water feature will boost your mood and creativity by at least 20%.  (Consider colors in the art you are going to add, to check what colors are suitable for your home workstation check the first part). https://apartmentpalette.blogspot.com/2020/04/6-little-known-space-design-hacks-that.html


  • Space
Joy where should I work? In my bedroom or my living room or dining room? Honestly, I can’t tell you where to work but I can tell you where not to work.
-          Don’t work in the places you sit in when you are done working. Meaning, don’t work on your bed or in the living room where you relax and watch TV. The space you are working from should be separate from the one you relax in (you should shift from home mode to work mode)
-          Don’t work in a place where you have to remove your work stuff every day. Keep your stuff in the space you are working in – designate it as your own office (even if your space is just a seat in your dining room)
-          Don’t work in a place where you can’t control the temperature. The temperature in the space also affects productivity. Researchers at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory wanted to find the single most productive degree, so they crunched data from 24 different office temperature-productivity studies to find it.  Performance is maximized, they determined, at 71 degrees Fahrenheit.



  • Furniture
-          I know you already know this one! But here goes nothing! Movement is key so we need a chair that moves, is adjustable and keeps us comfortable. Back pain will not help you be more productive. (A slightly reclined chair posture is best to reduce back pain). Your eyes should be 50 to 90 cm from the screen and the top of the monitor should be below or at eye level. This decreases eye strain, ensuring a more productive work environment. 

Fun Fact: Round furniture is aesthetically pleasing to the mind thus your brain lights up hence more productivity. (rounded furniture arrangements triggered more activity in the brain than straight-edged ones).
Credits:
Remarcable | Jake Foxell
  • Plants
Exeter University conducted research that noted people were 15% more productive when plants are introduced to their working space.

Credit: John Short. Accessories from Arper, Goodhood, Pulpo and Yield Design

WIRED'S GUIDE TO A GREENER OFFICE
1. ASPIDISTRA ELATIOR: Nicknamed the "cast iron plant", this copes well with little care.
2. MONSTERA DELICIOSA: Also known as the Swiss cheese plant, it thrives at room temperature.
3. ZAMIOCULCAS ZAMIIFOLIA: An African plant that tolerates shade - ideal for a dark corner.
4. HOWEA FORSTERIANA: This Australian flowering plant will fill whatever space you place it in.
5. PARENTESIT WALL PANEL: This freestanding screen, designed for Arper by Lievore Altherr Molina, enables you to customize an office area.
6. PACHYCEREUS: The easiest option: a cactus that requires almost no watering.
7. DRACAENA FRAGRANS: A tropical species that filters out nasty airborne chemicals such as benzene and formaldehyde.
8. SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA: This plant is practically indestructible and also helps to remove pollutants.
Fun Fact: 1 plant per square meter increases productivity


  • Clutter
As Einstein said: "a cluttered desk is a symbol for a cluttered mind of creativity." This is for you creative people out there! However, clutter can help the creative mind create but it isn’t necessarily helpful for focus. Scientists at the Princeton University Neuroscience Institute have used f MRI to show that our brains like order, and those constant visual reminders of disorganization drain our cognitive resources and reduce our ability to focus. They also found that when participants cleared the clutter from their work environment, they were able to focus better and their productivity increased.

  • Scents
FINALLY MY FAVORITE PART! I left this until the end of this post because this tip shocked me when I did my research. I never thought that scent can affect our body and brain. And now it is your turn to be shocked. Choose a scent according to your work type! I would love it if you can share with me what scent you will be using!
-          For Problem-solving:
. Rosemary: It increases alertness and improves memory (good for brainstorming)
. Vetiver: Improves brain function and boosts concentration
. Coffee: Enhances analytical reasoning and promotes alertness
-          To Improve performance:
. Lemon: Arouses senses and decrease errors
. Jasmine: Re energizes the body and lifts your mood
. Citrus: increase alertness and shortens response time
-          To Sustain Attention:
. Cinnamon: increase attention and increase motor response
. Peppermint: increases attention and memory accuracy
. Ginger: Fights fatigue and eases pain
-          To Recharge:
. Pine: increases mood and alertness
. Lemongrass: decreases stress and anxiety
. Lavender: Recharge Brain and increase concentration

Thank you for reading! If you love this post don’t hesitate to share it! You can follow me on Instagram and Pinterest for more inspiration.
Follow me on:



Note that i don't take credit to any of the above pictures.

Comments

Popular Posts